Magnesium is the first nutrient to be depleted by our bodies when we’re stressed or fatigued. While using your magnesium oil spray will help, the good news is that making smart, magnesium-packed food choices can also help you to boost your energy quickly.
You’ll find magnesium in leafy greens, brown rice, many varieties of seeds, tree nuts and dark chocolate. Our good friend the avocado is also a good source of magnesium and one of the most nutritious produce picks. According to SELF Nutrition Data, a single cup of raw avocado contains about 43.5mg of magnesium, which is around 11 per cent of your recommended daily magnesium intake. It’s also loaded with heart-healthy vitamins and nutrients.
But when you hit that 3 pm slump at work or you’re craving a chocolatey dessert, you probably aren’t reaching for avocado as a healthy snack option. Don’t worry, we’ve got you! This delicious recipe by @betterbeingsteph for low-sugar avocado cupcakes will help you find that balance between what’s truly good for your health, and what makes you happy.
Avocado Cupcakes (V, GF)
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
100g avocado, mashed
50g chocolate pea protein powder or almond meal + 1 tsp extra cacao powder
30g buckwheat flour or flour of choice
60ml egg whites or 1 egg or 1 vegan egg replacer
30ml almond milk or milk of choice
2 tsp cacao powder
1 tsp baking soda or vinegar
Optional inclusions: chocolate chips
Ingredients for the frosting:
50g avocado, mashed
30g chocolate pea protein powder or 20g cacao powder + 1 tsp sweetener
10-20ml almond milk, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. To a large bowl, add pea protein, baking soda and powder, cacao powder and flour and stir to combine.
3. Add in the mashed avocado and almond milk, and mix into the dry ingredients.
4. Fold through any extra inclusions.
5. Pour batter across 5 muffin or cupcake moulds, and bake in the oven for 25-30
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
7. For the frosting: combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl until combined into your desired consistency. Spread an even amount on each cooled cupcake before serving. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days (if they last that long!).