6 Whole Grain or Whole Wheat Crispbreads:
- Replace the Arnott’s Salada Original Crispbread with a whole grain or whole wheat alternative to increase fibre and nutrient content.
160g (1 cup, lightly packed) Coconut Sugar:
- Substitute brown sugar with coconut sugar, which has a lower glycemic index and retains some minerals found in coconut sap.
125g Unsalted Butter or Coconut Oil:
- Replace salted butter with unsalted butter or coconut oil for a healthier fat option.
2 x 180g Blocks of Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa or higher), melted:
- Opt for dark chocolate with a higher cocoa content to increase antioxidants and reduce added sugars.
50g Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas) for Decoration:
- Instead of M&M’s, add a mix of pumpkin seeds for a magnesium boost.
Slivered Almonds and Shredded Coconut for Decoration:
- Replace silver cachous with almonds and shredded coconut for a healthier and magnesium-rich alternative.
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 fan-forced. Line a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang the 2 long sides. Place whole grain or whole wheat crisp bread over the base of the prepared pan in an even layer.
- Combine the coconut sugar and butter (or coconut oil) in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until thickened.
- Pour the sugar mixture evenly over the crisp bread. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the sugar mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the over and pour the melted dark chocolate over the crisp bread. Use a palette knife to smooth. Set aside until set.
- Sprinkle it with a mix of pumpkin seeds, chopped almonds, and shredded coconut. Set aside until set completely. Break into pieces to serve.