Transdermal Magnesium – why athletes would benefit from topical magnesium supplementation
Magnesium is vital mineral with many important qualities, including being involved in metabolism, transmembrane transport, muscle contraction and relaxation, hydration and even sleep. All of these factors are essential for athletes to perform at their best through busy timetables of training and high levels of competition. Although it is often overlooked by athletes, the new transdermal magnesium therapy which now readily available is taking the athletic world by storm. Easily absorbed and fast-acting, Salt Lab's transdermal magnesium oil and transdermal magnesium spray are perfect for your post-workout routine.
Why Magnesium is essential for athletes
Due to the amount of intense exercise that athletes put themselves through, their muscles can often become sore and overworked, which may, in turn, affect their athletic performance. Magnesium is essential for athletes because:
- Optimal magnesium levels play a significant role in the cardiorespiratory function and muscular strength in athletes.
- Magnesium deficiency in athletes is associated with limitations in strength and power, both of which affect overall muscle performance.
- Intense exercise increases the demand for magnesium and the potential loss of magnesium. This can lead to magnesium deficiencies which in turn cause muscle weakness and dysfunction.
- Magnesium supplementation can increase athletic performance, particularly in those athletes that are already magnesium deficient.
What does Magnesium do?
- Magnesium is an energy-boosting mineral. It activates enzymes in the body which help to produce adenosine triphosphate (ATP) which is crucial for the metabolic process.
- As the body breaks down ATP, energy is released which is then used by the muscles.
- The more you exercise and harder you exercise, the faster the body uses the energy released from ATP-breakdown. Therefore, athletes require a lot of ATP to keep up with the amount of exercise they do.
- If you are low on magnesium levels, your enzymes will produce less ATP to be broken down, which can lead to low levels of energy and issues with muscle function.
How does Magnesium benefit athletes?
Magnesium plays an essential role in many processes in the human body, many of which are vital for maintaining optimal athletic performance. Keeping Magnesium at optimal levels through diet or supplementation is important for athletes because:
- Magnesium has muscle-relaxing qualities including helping regulate neuromuscular signals, muscle contractions and balancing calcium levels within the body. This helps muscles relax and contract and eases pain and reduces cramps which are common problems in overworked muscles.
- It is essential for good bone health, being directly related to bone density and helps bones to heal faster, maintain their strength and lead to well-formed, healthy teeth.
- Magnesium also helps calm the brain and quiet a racing mind, promoting a good night's sleep, improving sleep efficiency, sleep time and sleep onset, as well as aiding in early morning awakening.
- Maintaining optimal levels of magnesium also protect the heart from damage and maintain a regular heartbeat by calming the nervous system, mediating digestive processes and preventing problems such as cramps, vomiting, indigestion and constipation which can cause undue stress on the heart.